DETAILS:Restore the DWR coating on waterproof-breathable outerwear with Revivex Durable Water Repellent. Over time, DWR (durable water repellency) on technical gear wears off, and the fabric gets dirty and absorbs water. Regular reproofing treatment of rainwear, soft shells, ski pants, and jackets is highly recommended to continuously repel water. Just pre-clean the garment with Revivex Pro Cleaner, spray on this waterproof coating and let air dry. The continuous, air-powered sprayer dispenses every last drop of the formula in a wide, even application to ensure garments are fully covered. Whatever your adventure is, Revivex Durable Water Repellent provides the right protection in the rain and snow.
- Durable – Spray-on treatment restores DWR, resists abrasion and repels water, oil and stains
- Maximizes Breathability – Creates water resistant layer and allows waterproof-breathable garments to perform at its best
- Washable – Ideal for outerwear and ski gear, this DWR coating will remain after a wash and can be air dried or heat set
- Compatible – Designed for use on technical fabrics including waterproof-breathable fabrics; formula is PFOA and PFOS free
- Multipurpose – Restore water repellency to DWR treated rainwear, jackets, ski pants, gloves, boots, waders, and nylon tent flies
- Size: 10.5 oz and 16.9 fl oz
- For Use On: nylon, waterproof-breathable fabrics
- Application: spray
- Air Dry: yes
- Water Protection: yes
- Stain/Oil Protection: yes
- Made In: USA
What Is DWR?
To repel water, outerwear must have durable water repellency (DWR) on its surface. DWR treatment is applied to ski pants and jackets by the manufacturer. This protective coating repels water and keeps you dry.
How does DWR Work?
DWR creates a microscopic barrier that allows water to bead and roll off. When this protective coating is exposed to smoke, sweat, dirt, and other residues, the fabric no longer has the ability to stop the water from entering.
Water is actually attracted to dirt, so a dirty jacket can lead to a wet jacket. Regularly washing your technical outerwear in a specialized cleaner will remove dirt and grime, and help revive your DWR. Applying heat after the garment has been cleaned will also help improve DWR performance. If your DWR is still not working well, apply an aftermarket water repellent spray.
Revivex Restores and Protects
Restore the performance of waterproof-breathable fabrics by using a gentle cleaning formula like Revivex Pro Cleaner or Down Cleaner. Unlike regular laundry soaps, Revivex products do not contain fragrances, optical brighteners or fabric softeners. These additives can make your cotton clothes smell and feel great, but they can clog technical fabrics and hinder the performance of DWR due to the residue they leave behind.
Over time, DWR treatment wears off causing fabrics to “wet out.” This reduces breathability and creates excess condensation, making you damp and cold. So after cleaning gear, re-proof it as needed with Revivex Durable Water Repellent or Wash-In Water Repellent. Doing so will help maintain your DWR and extend the life of outerwear, whether it’s your first or 100th outdoor adventure.
We recommend the following for application:
- Begin by hand-washing or machine washing the garment with Revivex Pro Cleaner. Revivex Pro Cleaner is safe for use in HE machines. We recommend you use half the amount of detergent for HE machines.
- Once clean, place the garment on a hanger and hang it.
- Next, spray the wet garment with Revivex Durable Water Repellent spray. Give the garment a nice, even application. You know you are applying too much if you see the repellent streaming off the fabric.
- Next, dry the garment as per the manufacturer’s recommendation or allow 48 hours to air dry.
- Once dry, you should notice water repellency restored!
the wash! Before applying a water repellent to any fabric, it is essential that you begin by cleaning the material first. Dirt, body oils and residues will prevent a water repellent from functioning. The fabric must be clean in order to achieve the best water repellency and performance.
Picture a water repellent as millions of tiny hairs standing straight on end. When a bead of water falls from the sky, it lands on these “hairs” that are standing straight up and rolls right off. With time you start to get a build-up of dirt, body oils and residue on top of these “hairs.” Now they are no longer standing straight on end. Instead, they are now leaning over from the weight of the dirt and residue. So now when a bead of water falls from the sky, the tiny “hairs” are leaning over and the bead of water begins to wet through as opposed to rolling off the top.
In order for that water repellent to be effective we need to remove those residues so that the “hairs” can pop back up and stand straight up. That said, the fabric must be cleaned. But you can’t just use any type of detergent.
Typical “household” cleaners contain heavy suds, optical brighteners and fabric softeners which tend to leave behind additional residues further preventing those “hairs” from standing straight on end. In addition, those added suds, fabric softeners, etc. can clog your waterproof breathable pores. This is why it is essential that you use a clean-rinsing detergent on your technical fabrics. We recommend ReviveX Pro Cleaner.
To tell the truth, many times a garment that has been treated with a DWR does not need to be re-treated with an after-market water repellent. Instead, it typically just needs a good cleaning with a clean-rinsing detergent. Once you have rinsed those residues clean, you can usually place the garment in the dryer. The heat will cause those tiny “hairs” to pop back up and you should notice that water repellency is restored. If it is not restored after a good cleaning, you will need to re-treat with a water repellent like ReviveX Durable Waterproofing Spray.
- 10.5 oz. treats 2-4 garments on average
- Ideal for use on all fabrics (we recommend spot testing full-grain leather) including GORE-TEX fabrics and waterproof breathable membranes
- Repels water, oil and stains
- PFOA & PFOS free
- Air-powered sprayer is solvent free
- Made in USA
STORAGE & CARE
Store in cool, dry place. Do NOT freeze. Freezing will impact performance.